Silent Hunter’s Past, Future and DRM
by Rohan

The year was 2005, and World War 2 submarine simulators were dead. The much-anticipated Silent Hunter 2 had come out four years before, and not only did it look like it’d have a good influx of realism, graphics that (at the time) really looked like they were going to be phenominal, but it also did something brand new – the ability to link up multiplayer with Destroyer Command. For the first time, bubbleheads would be able to really show skimmers that really, they were only still afloat because a submarine hadn’t found them yet.

But the game barely worked on release, suffered from lack of a dynamic campaign (a staple of the genre for years) and any number of other issues. Years later, modding crews had fixed up everything they could – even creating a technically impressive series of missions to give the impression of a dynamic campaign, and bring back the “my ship, my story, my war” experience that people missed from Aces of the Deep and the original Silent Hunter.

And then Silent Hunter III came along. The franchise had been handed over to Ubisoft Romania, and what they did blew everybody out of the water. Not only was the realism much improved, but the interior of the control room was 3D-modelled, as were the crew, who sat at their stations and played with dials. Never before had being depth-charged been so vivid and terrifying in a video game.

However, the truly impressive thing for me was this: the developers, a few months from release, noted a ground-swell of people in the submarine simulation community complaining that (once again) a Silent Hunter would lack a dynamic campaign. So they put a question out there to the subsimmers: How important IS a dynamic campaign for you? Would you prefer we put one in, at the expense of another delay? Would a lack of this dynamic campaign actually stop you buying it?

The answer was pretty unanimous. And so they announced the delay, and turned out what is generally considered to be the definitive U-Boat simulation. This impressed me immensely: realising that they had a very specific audience to cater to, they listened to that community and the game was so much better for it.

After this, they ventured back into “traditional” Silent Hunter turf with Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific. Taking the great work from Silent Hunter III, they extended it with more options, and a more dynamic crew system. Rotating shifts, individual skills and personal histories began to make an appearance.

Given the focus, then, it wasn’t all that surprising to most people just where they decided to go with the soon-to-be-released Silent Hunter V. Just five years post-Silent Hunter III, there seemed little reason to delve back into the second Battle of the Atlantic without good cause. After all, their earlier sim stood up well 5 years later – so why remake it?

The answer was to do something we’d never seen in a submarine simulation. Instead of the modern-day traditional hard-core sim concept (multiple platforms, high realism and as many options as you can possible manage to fit into your design) they decided to do something different.

In a throwback to Microprose simulations of the ’80s, in Silent Hunter V, you have just half the war in practical terms (up to 1943) and one class of submarine – the workhorse of the fleet – the Type VII in its numerous variants. As a result of this, the developers have been able to spent a visibly enormous amount of manpower modelling the interior of the submarine and giving it a real living, breathing crew.

Unlike the earlier games, this time the focus is on taking your crew through patrol after patrol, living with them, walking around your boat and talking to the crew. A much more personal and human approach.

Some subsimmers, like me, are ecstatic at this concept. For as much as I love eeking out one or two kills in my old “Dug-out Canoe” – the Type II, or laying waste to entire allied fleets without blinking in the Type XXI electro-boat… I will gladly forgo those options to be able to truly play out my own Das Boot experience.

Not everybody feels this way, of course. Browse the subsim.com forums and you can find a select few hardcore simmers who are not interested in this, and who feel that the first-person movement through the submarine will detract from what they really care about – simulating the tactics of submarine warfare.

This in itself probably wouldn’t be a huge problem for the game’s sales. I mean, Silent Hunter III is still a perfectly serviceable game – nothing stops these few hardcore types from sticking to it like glue and not “upgrading” to the very different beast that is Silent Hunter V. But there is one other thing that seems to be causing a huge stir in the subsim community and beyond, that may well affect its sales dramatically…

Digital Rights Management.

The new game uses a horrifyingly restrictive copy protection scheme that has been covered in detail in many other places. But in short: you need a constant net connection in order to play the game.

Want to play on a laptop? Too bad.

Got a 3G connection that keeps dropping out? Too bad.

Routing issues to Ubisoft’s servers? Shit outta luck then, buddy. (I’m in Australia, which means cut cables screwing up our connections to random parts of the internet for chunks of time is a very real problem)

Now, I see the importance of trying to stop people pirating. I mean, It may not be the sole reason that PC Gaming is in decline, but it’s certainly a factor. Something must be done, here, but I’m just not so sure this kind of draconian DRM that actually impacts the usability of your product is the right way to go about it. You want to make it EASIER for people to buy your game legally, not more difficult.

The DRM issue isn’t just making a few people shrug or make it a footnote in a blog entry, either. It’s seriously riling up the Subsim community – threads and threads are devoted to the issue, and as it stands some 25% of subsimmers claim they won’t buy the game due to the DRM.

Of course, this figure may not quite prove to be true in reality; it rarely does. But what concerns me is this:

Between their leap of faith to create a submarine simulation experience the likes of which we’ve never seen before and their DRM, it’s just possible that, with a bit of sub-par marketing and some bad luck, this game might not sell as well as they’d hoped.

And if this proves true – how are the Ubisoft corporate goons to know just what did it? Will they reduce the funding of the next game? Or kill the series entirely?

The general rule of thumb with big franchises (or even medium-sized ones like this) is that you really only add or change one major feature at a time. Too much change may excite people like me, but you risk scaring and alienating many of the great McDonalds-buying masses.

With Silent Hunter V, they have their One Big Change… but they also have their DRM, and I just hope that the confluence of the two doesn’t sink the series.

Because I, for one, can’t wait to see where Ubisoft Romania take this incredible franchise.

Update: As of the time I’m writing this (24 hours after the original article was published), a poll conducted on subsim.com now shows that 75-84% of people are not willing to buy Silent Hunter V with this form of DRM.

UPDATE #2 (Jeremy): This DRM is even more a problem in Australia, and Ubisoft simply doesn’t care.

Tags: , , , , ,

55 Responses to “Silent Hunter’s Past, Future and DRM”

1. Joe Morra says:

I play a lot of my games on Stream and have no problem, in fact when the game has a problem I just delete it and download it again. Is DRM going to operate in the same manner?

2. Raggz says:

No, Ubisofts new DRM require a fast broadband connection and if the connection drops the game will save and pause untill the connection is back. There are no offline mode like Steam is offering. In short… no internet = no gaming at all. If the ubisoft servers go down = no gaming at all.

3. Jyrki Brusell says:

I have already pre-ordered Silent Hunter V.
    I was truly disappointed to learn that it will have this kind of need for interne :(
    I would understand 1 online authentication after installation, but not the need to be online all the time.
    This means, I can’t play it on my laptop outside my home.
    This means, that when someday Ubisoft won’t supply the service anymore, the Silent Hunter V can’t be played anymore at all.

THIS MEANS that this is the last game I buy from Ubisoft.

Sorry, but I’m so annoyed.

Jyrki

4. The Enigma says:

Being online for playing the game is one big issue.
    Privacy is another one.
    No matter how often they assure you to keep your data private,
    sooner or later it will be used to make money with it.
    Google lives on private data, remember.

5. Steeltrap says:

Just a quick comment about the poll conducted in subsim.com to which you referred. The results are more damning than you indicated.

Will the new DRM affect your SH5 purchase?
    “Makes no difference to me” 191 (15.44%)
    I’ll cancel my pre-order & wait 148 (11.96%)
    Wait for UBI to remove the online DRM 761 (61.52%)
    Not going to at all now. 137 (11.08%)
    Voters: 1237.

So, only 15.44% of 1,237 people intend to purchase the game with the DRM as announced. The remaining 84.56% will wait or not buy it at all.
    Here’s a link: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=160783

6. stranger says:

…correction: The latest polls at Subsim give 75-84% of people not willing to buy SHV with DRM…

7. Rohan says:

That’s just plain worrying. Not that people would object to this – just that this might have such a massive impact on sales.

On the bright side, if this majority of subsimmers are vocal enough, Ubisoft may back down – or at least notice why SHV sales are weaker than expected.

8. Robsko says:

It is sad that what could potentially be an interesting gameplay twist (the focus on crew life) that would then make it different enough from SH2 to be played even by owner of SH3 (SH3 being about the same theater, while offering more simulation than SH5) is ruined by corporate decision with this extremely intrusive DRM.
    Sure i understand piracy is a problem but making your customers life more difficult while piracy will certainly have no such problem (online authentifications have been broken for nearly every products by pirates) is just plain insane decision, as it will not fight piracy but will just turn away your customers.

When i buy a product, i own it, period.
    No company has then any right to decide when i can play or not with what i bought, not rented.
    Buying SH5 with that barely legal DRM is just renouncing to your customer rights and is an agreement in giving more power to a company – that you have strictly no reason to trust – on your own computer and privacy.

I can’t believe a majority of gamers and simers are that ready to give up their right and their privacy just to be able to play with “shiny videogame”, even if it is a quality game like SH5 seems to be. I am sure people have values and principles they’re not ready to throw out of the window just for a videogame, It will certainly cost UBI a lot with the lost sales for what could have been very successfull in term of profit.

9. kjuice says:

10. Dizzy says:

It’s very sad that UBI will be getting away with this crap. The state of PC gaming is going downhill quickly. But I don’t think UBI will be sticking with this DRM for long. They will see that people are not buying SH5, and will decide to remove it. Unless they’re planning to kill the series.

But the only other game I know of that has this DRM is Rise of Flight. They plan on patching this “must be connected even for single player” out at the end of the month. http://riseofflight.com/Blogs/default.aspx so maybe they will set a trend or prove that this form of DRM sucks

11. mark white says:

Yes, the pretty pics would never be worth going through the hoops they want you to just to play “your” game.

This piracy argument is b%llsheeet. 99% of people who pirate WOULD NEVER BUY THE GAME TO BEGIN WITH, unless used or until it is marked down, way down. So, there is no loss.

They only think piracy does is bulk up their online player numbers which make people, in turn, want to buy the game when they can see the huge numbers playing the game online.

When you make piracy protections so inhibiting, it becomes not worth even bothering purchasing the game.

AND I WILL NOT BE PURCHASING SILENT HUNTER V.

12. Nigel Swan says:

I just had my Broadband connection fixed this morning after it had been down since Saturday. Imagine if I had just bought SH5, a whole 48 hours of no game playing.

A pathetic move by the publisher and one that means I won’t be ‘buying’ SH5.

13. Brizzy says:

There are clever enough people whi will eventually crack the DRM, i guess once the DRM is cracked (and inevitably it will be) there may be more users of the game. Whether they purchase the game or download and then use such a crack is there choice.

14. Also at present SH2 and DC are fantastic.
    We have, with some difficulty, be able to pruduce mods as ALFATAU end MARENOSTRUM.
    UBI can only be grateful: more copies of the game were sold in this way, I think
    Without the original game our mods can’t be playable.
    I last my time to intruduce italian aircrafts in SH3 and have almost completed an italian submarine.
    Surprise:
    My BR20 bombers are immune from enemy fighters: my bombers easily can shoot down them.
    So, in SH3 there is not a AI but insteed a AS (artificially stupidity)
    I leave my sub on docks.
    I have SH4, it’s a gift: I leave the case as I received it:enclose.
    DRM is the last of the many: I will not buy SH5 with this absurd condition
    I prefer hanged me.
    I HATE UBI and the type of marketing they follow. It’s totally wrong.
    I don’t talk about Il2, because this is the wrong place, but it’s the same thing as above.

with regards

manomano

15. Mstang67 says:

I’m one of those that was extremely excited about the upcoming SH5 and completely turned away by DRM. I’ve lived in places where I didn’t have internet and there weren’t many things to do. Tons of people don’t have good internet connections. And as Robsko said, when I buy a game, I own it. Why would I want to buy a product that costs me a big chunk of money only to have service discontinued in a year or two? I’ve been playing SH3 since it came out, so I figure SH5 would be the same way. This isn’t going to stop pirates and all their BS. It just presents a challenge. They’ll have it figured out in no time. Then not only do you have pirates distributing your game, but you’ve alienated so many of you clients that the losses experienced will be tremendous. Overall I think the DRM is really going to kill sales on this game, I just hope that it isn’t the cause of the series being cancelled. I know myself and many others want to see where this game can go, but stupid business decisions have just put all our hopes in serious jeopardy.

16. Jeremy says:

“I suspect that when the time comes that the game will no longer be supported, ubi will release a patch to nullify the online condition.”

Or not. Can’t really buy it on that assumption – if the company has so much contempt for consumers BEFORE they purchase the game, what makes you think they’ll give a damn years later?

17. Oleg Buchta says:

Digital Rights Management? More like Digital Restrictions Management as usual.

Never, ever in my life I will purchase a game with such a draconic DRM. Playing all sub sims available until now I was looking forward to get my hands on SH V. I already preordered it (and Settler 7), however after reading about the DRM and what is required (and after I taking notice that Ubi gives a **** fuck about their customers opinion) I cancelled both preorders.

Not with me Ubi, not with. I’m done with you once and for all.

18. TAC-U753 says:

Im buying it because i mainly play online. And if they are using steam dose that mean SH3 servers will stay. And it gust shows how much UBI listen to subsim when they are advertised on the box and gave neil stevens an advanced copy to see what the game was like ?

19. Fullboat says:

Silent Hunter’s Past, Future and DRM

There is no Future for DRM.

20. Invalid Username says:

On Ubisoft’s pledge to remove the DRM before discontinuing support:

Ubisoft don’t have the best reputation for patching legitimate playability problems with their games, so to “take it on faith” they will produce a patch to remove their DRM is laughable!

21. Shandiir says:

Like yourself, I am an Aussie who couldn’t wait for SHV, but once I read the forums that the DRM was permanate internet connection or the game freezes up, I knew it would be rubbish in OZ.

Why u ask? Easy the best connection to Europe or the US to a server is 300ms, way to slow for games that measure connection speeds. COD4 woundn’t let you have more than 100ms so we hd to get ISPs here to host servers, usually at cost to us. If SHV requires a decent connection the game will constantly freeze while those packets of data take their time to travel around the world. What makes it worst is that the average connection is 600ms and can peak at 4000ms!!!!

All I can say is back to SH4 for now and see how long UBISOFT will servive with this DRM on all their games comming out.

22. sidslotm says:

Hi

a good and well balanced article about one of the truly great sims, reflects well of the times we live, controlling!
    The in box mentality of Ubi management that dominates so much of this generations inability to problem solve.
    All their doctorates and degree’s have taught them nothing if this is the best they can come with, DRM.

The Germans went from the type2 to the mighty type 21 in five years of war, the Americans and Brits solved huge issues to over come in this conflict. I give thanks that this generation of management do not lead the USA and Britian in the 1940/45 war if this is the best they have to offer.

The way out of the Box Ubi love, is via the door, the handle is only on the inside.

23. dannygjk says:

Hi all,

Even if things work as well as can be expected while playing under the DRM restriction, there will be times when you have a forced stoppage of play.
    Imagine being immersed in a movie and suddenly you are grabbed and frog-marched out to the lobby for say, 5 minutes. For me, that would be a serious immersion spoiler and not acceptable. Maybe I’m unusual, maybe I’m rigid and too purist. I don’t know, but I’m curious how others feel about that aspect.

As for sales, I think sales will be fine, because I suspect the vast majority of customers will buy the game oblivious to the DRM issue.

Danny

24. Kirk says:

Ive bought every Silent hunter 2 tru 4 + its micro expansion. They have lost a sale here, not only here but also to any UBI game that has this insulting DRM. What a way to alienate your biggest fans. I feel as if i was slapped in the face…

25. Bernie says:

I am not a cracker because I just don’t get programming at all.
    I am eager to see if this new DRM type being implemented increases the number of people who learn to crack games.
    The problem is Ubisoft creates some really good stuff that I and lots of people want to play in a single player mode but have an unreliable connection because economy is bad and a better connection can not be afforded at this time.
    So the answer is simple buy the game and crack it so it can be played as single player by the person who paid for it.
    I think this DRM is going to backfire in the sense that the game is going to create a lot more people who learn to crack the protection even though they do not plan to and will not pirate it.
    I just wish I had an aptitude to be a programmer and understand the process so I could buy the game and FIX it for myself to use.

26. Morgan says:

I currently own 7 titles by UBI and can play them when I choose on or off line. I have watched the Subsim Forums, read multiple articles, and reviews on other sites about SH5. I have also read the UBI Uplay forum which was the final point of my research and the most alarming. I can now saw that as long as Ubisoft requires Uplay or any other form of internet connection required I will no longer purchase their titles and that includes SH5.

27. Bill says:

Funny how things go…… I upgraded my computer years ago to play Silent Hunter. Like everyone in the forums, it is fun to modify the game and to share in the spirit of the game. With the new version coming out, after 8 years, I upgraded my machine again. I needed to do it…it was time. But what pushed my to upgrade was Silent Hunter 5. With this DRM crap……It looks like the end of the line. WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE…..is offer all those guys who BOUGHT…1–2—3—4…..a reasonable 10 bucks off the new version….and with a million copies sold…they make their 30 million bucks…… now they get nada….at least from me.

28. dannygjk says:

Crazy Ivan lol, rather Crazy UBI

29. RobP says:

Scratch another sale Ubi. If the poll was still open I’d vote and I’d vote to wait until the DRM is removed.

I’ve mentioned this on other forums, the problem Ubi have now is that their commercial game is now worth less than the stolen copy! Why? The stolen copy can be used without an internet connection and will work long after the Ubisoft servers stop. Publishers are supposed to reward genuine consumers not punish them. Is it really a good idea to make the stolen game seem more attractive than the legitimate game?

On top of the connection issue it also turns out that your save games are going to be on their servers too! It seems that the game rental model is now just around the corner :(

Modern games are graphically very intensive and generally need as many resources as a computer can provide them. I wonder what affect on performance the continous polling over the internet is going to have?

DRM gets cracked all the time, so one has to wonder what Ubi’s real motive is for rolling out such a scheme? I bet its nothing to do with curbing piracy and everything to do with pushing consumers toward their new business model and allowing them to obtain realtime data from your gameplaying habits.

I for one won’t be pushed. When EA did a similiar thing two years ago I stopped buying all of there games as did many other people. It now seems that EA are now relaxing their DRM and their sales are starting to pick up again. Why didn’t Ubi learn from this?

Remember games sales are impacted far more by whether a game is a good game or a mediocre game, the affect of piracy on sales whilst significant is not in the same league as the results of releasing a poor game.

Maybe the guys that coded SHV will move away from Ubi as a publisher – especially when they see their sales results. I feel sorry for them, all that hard work down the drain because their publisher doesn’t understand the market they are in.

RobP

30. Rohan says:

That’s a good point, and something I hadn’t considered – the inherent value of the product. I’d say it certainly *is* worth less than a pirated copy now, for sure. The pirated copy can be run in more situations than the legally obtained copy.

The SHV guys are Ubisoft Romania – meaning I think they’re actually owned by Ubisoft, so they’re unlikely to be able to get out from under Ubisoft’s fascist jack-boot.

31. Niels Christiansen says:

To put it very short, this to me appear to be a precursor to Heil Hitler 2.0 software wise.

32. Flick says:

The latest I have is SHIV and the last from UBI now I really know what UBI stands for “U been Incarcerated”

33. RevJack says:

I have all the Silent Hunter Games and I was going to get this one…. but not now with the current DRM….if and when they get rid of it I will buy then and it will probably be cheaper so they lose money anyway. Doesn’t make sense.

34. Jeb says:

I’m hoping 1C Maddox puts out the Storm of War series through a different publisher now. Ubi is so clueless when it comes to customer service. I was watching development of this game, eagerly awaiting it, and now all I can say is Ubi can take SHV with this DRM and shove it. I refuse to by any software with this kind of DRM. I think Ubisoft should rename itself to Ubiscam.

35. Alan Phelan says:

It is a pity about Uisoft feeling compelled to send out SH5 with DRM. I really feel it will put off many SH and would-be SH players.
    I have, and still play, SH1, SH2, SH3 and SH4, but I would be regretfully reluctant to buy SH5 and bind myself with the inflexibility DRM suggests.
    I do have sympathy with Ubisoft’s problem with piracy. I just hope they can find an alternative way of protecting their product. In the meantime, as shore leave is over, I’m off on patrol to the South China Sea.

36. Richard JIVA Wickboldt says:

Definitely don’t like to hear about STREAM and DRM. But wouldn’t mind if it was a SH with a matching DC component. I just reminisce for the good old destroyer-sub hunts with real players above and below the surface. As far as I am concerned the only way to play this kind of sim is with real players all the way around. I bought sh3 and sh4 but lost interest in a short time. The computer opponent is too predictable after a while. Those young Romanians would be very smart if they put a all effort for a very good functional hs-dc configuration. Gee don’t they get it. All most every other sim out there is player vs player! What a shame…. A perfectly good game ruined by flash and graphics….. it gets boring playing online trying to sink more than my fellow players… and even more boring playing by myself in front of a screen. Richard

37. Fredrik says:

I learned there was a SH 5 just the other day, used to play SH2 and SH3 years ago (a lot!!!). First thought was to buy a brand new computer just to play this game. But as I read about this DRM thing I will definitely NOT buy SH5!
    Otherwise I´d bought it on the spot!
    Previously I had bad experiences with the game Red orchestra and I just dont like the idea of paying for a game and then be forced to rely on my internet connection to play.

Shame on you Ubi!

38. Thor-Johnny says:

Its sad…. i really wanted to buy SH5… i hope it gets cracked,Offlined and torrented. then i will DL the torrent and buy a license just to support the game devs. but i will never Download a DRM release

39. MrDim says:

Silent Hunter 5 Battle of the Atlantic-SKIDROW <—— DRM FAIL
    1. Unpack the included rar files.
    2. Run SilentHunter-Patch101.exe and install
    3. Copy the cracked content from SKIDROW directory to your main installation directory and overwrite.
    4. Play the game

It doesn't take long for the Scene to find a solution. I haven't bothered with a subsim since AOD (purchased and loved that game, hell I purchased the whole Aces series and played them for years). If the multinationals started treating people as customers and not as cash cows, then maybe they would be able to beat filesharing. I don't hold out much hope of that happening.

40. Rohan says:

Struth. That didn’t take long, did it?

41. MrDim says:

The Scene is quick. One hell of a lot quicker than the corporations.

42. zosX says:

First of all the skidrow crack doesn’t seem to break any drm. See it goes much deeper than that. With the skidrow crack, apparently you can only play the training missions. I don’t really see any way to crack how the game saves to ubisoft’s servers either, but I’m sure there is some internal switch that allows you to save your games to a hard drive.

I bought the last two silent hunters and love them to death. I don’t think that ubisoft will be getting any money from me, nor will I be playing silent hunter V until they fix this terrible situation and I build another machine.

43. Skywolf says:

I purchased a copy of the game – not realizing that the DRM was so instrusive and awful. I don’t normally support piracy, but in this case I hope they produce a ‘successful’ crack of this game. (Ubisoft says that the cracks that are out there aren’t completely successful yet) It’s too bad the developers couldn’t find another publisher. The game is very immersive, but needs some added items on the simulation side, but this type of DRM punishes the honest End User and I have no idea how this insane DRM works with the Modding community.

I am glad that a majority of people – in the know – are NOT buying the game until UBI removes the Online Only DRM. Quite frankly, once you buy the bloody disc you shouldn’t need online ANYTHING to run the darn game – barring an MMO of course.

Bad move Ubi and what an insult to loyal customers.

44. Big M says:

@ zosX

Wrong, the missions work. You just have to first run the game with the cracked exe and not the UBIsoft updater. Then you start a campaign and skip the training mission. You’ll be in the port and can pick missions. There’s a lot of desperate propaganda by UBI trying to suggest that the crack doesn’t work, but sorry to say for them is that it DOES WORK.

You can also save games on your computer, not their servers. You can do missions, go back to port, replenish torps etc.

45. prowler0000 says:

I`ve played every sub-sim since Silent Service on my Atari 800XL……

I had my eye on SH V since last summer, Pre-ordered on Amazon UK, the “SteelBox” edition: Not much more money, but looked like more in the package, & the guide looked hopeful…

Package turns up on day of release, Much excitement. Hmmm, packaging looks a bit small to contain a guide as well??!!

1st thought: nice box!

2nd thought: “A permanent internet connection is required to play the game.” WTF!!!!!! Where did it say THAT on Amazon`s product page?!?! looked at the page again, no sign of “Online Only” notice. looked on Play.com. No sign of “Online Only” again….

3rd thought: ummm, wheres the “Official Guide containing all in-game details”? Oh, it`s a pointless small brown hardback book with pix of the ships in the game with very little discriptive text & a crew manifest with basic personal information! Hardly a “Prima” strategy guide i was led to believe i was gonna get…

I have a 3G USB dongle for my net access @ home. it suits my basic online needs.

after 1 WHOLE HOUR of downloading a Post-Install patch, that I HAD to do to play the game, My intrest in actually playin this much-anticipated sim was gone….

Thanks UBI. another satisfied customer. NOT!!! UBI = U Bloody Idiots!!!

46. [...] my recent article on Silent Hunter 5 and Ubisoft’s fascist, broken DRM system, a large number of comments kept [...]

47. greyone40 says:

Thanks for this post. I had heard about this DRM from a friend who is also a great fan of submarine simulations. We are going to wait to see what happens on this issue, so that is two more potential sales gone. Neither did we participate on the survey, so there are two more responses on the “not buying” column.
    If anything I will probably wait until a year or so goes by and the price falls, so that I am not risking any more money than I have to. This is a bit disappointing, as there is no problem with the CD key method that I am familiar with. The pacific game is pretty good, and a step up from SH3 as well, so I’ll just stick with it when I get the itch to sink a few ships.

48. E.M.Marine says:

Ubisoft is making a very bad business decision.I picked up SH V in a store a few days ago.I read the part about the DRM,and placed the box back on the shelf.Lost sale for Ubisoft.Plus I have been following the SH V forum at Subsim,and it sounds like Ubisoft has pushed another unfinished sim out on the market so they can start the patch-a-thon again,and with the aide of the great modders at Subsim, have a decent sim once again.People hang on to your old SHIII,SHIV,sims because I have a feeling Ubisoft is about to fold.There only chance at redemption is to get DRM fixed,and make their sims a bit closer to to being ready before they release them.
    E.M.Marine

49. deltaalpha says:

I picked up the game and read the DRM and put it back down. I do not have high speed or a reliable connection and so….. Sorry Ubisoft I was a huge fan of the series but it looks like our love affair is over.

50. Rohan says:

Conveniently for most of you guys, I just don’t feel that SH5 is really worth it, anyway. Not until there’s been lots and lots of patches and mods churned out for the thing, at least.